The education of boys at distant great schools, of young men at distant colleges, of young ladies in distant nunneries and boarding-schools, seems, in the higher ranks of life, to have hurt most essentially the domestic morals, and consequently the domestic happiness, both of France and England. Do you wish to educate your children to be dutiful to their parents, to be kind and affectionate to their brothers and sisters? put them under the necessity of being dutiful children, of being kind and affectionate brothers and sisters: educate them in your own house. From their parent’s house they may, with propriety and advantage, go out every day to attend public schools: but let their dwelling be always at home. Respect for you must always impose a very useful restraint upon their conduct; and respect for them may frequently impose no useless restraint upon your own. Surely no acquirement, which can possibly be derived from what is called a public education, can make any sort of compensation for what is almost certainly and necessarily lost by it. Domestic education is the institution of nature; public education, the contrivance of man. It is surely unnecessary to say, which is likely to be the wisest. (from here)
ARE YOU READY TO VOTE?
Are you registered to vote?
Do you know where to vote?
Check the Virginia Department of Elections‘ website.
- THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN February 16, 2020
- DOWN WITH THE CONSTITUTION? February 10, 2020
- IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT YOUR CHILDREN TAUGHT? February 4, 2020
- ABORTION BILLS February 4, 2020
- IS YOUR LEGISLATOR FOMENTING SEXUAL CONFUSION? January 27, 2020
- SUPERMAN, SUPERWOMAN or BOTH? January 17, 2020
- WISDOM OR FOOLISHNESS? January 15, 2020
- TRANSGENDER LEGISLATION for VIRGINIA SCHOOLS January 14, 2020
- BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN? January 13, 2020
- SOMETHING ELSE TO READ IN THE NEW YEAR: A BELATED NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION January 4, 2020
- There is an old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The people supporting this bill can't say what was broke… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago