Here is a list of some of the major bills moving forward in the General Assembly and links to news articles.
House Bill 2527: Va. Transportation Infrastructure Fund and Va. Transportation Infrastructure Bank – This is Governor Bob McDonnell’s transportation plan. It involves borrowing billions of dollars.
- Transportation plan moves up from the Suffolk News-Herald
- McDonnell transportation bill finds easy path through legislature from the FairfaxTimes.com
- House advances Va. Gov’s $4 billion roads bill from Bloomberg
SB 1459 and HB 2510: Virginia Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2011 – This bill will increase funding for higher education in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or STEM fields. McDonnell wants to add 100,000 additional associate and bachelor’s degrees over the next 15 years.
- Virginia legislators approve higher ed legislation from Bloomberg
- McDonnell’s Higher Education Legislation Passes a Pair of Votes from WHSV.com
HB 2434: Health benefits exchange; intent to develop – while its attorney general is fights the Federal Government in court, the General Assembly passed legislation to conform Virginia’s health care laws with corresponding provisions of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that became effective on September 23, 2010. An example is developing health insurance exchanges.
- Republican Governors Choose Paths on Exchanges from Health Care News
- Virginia Agrees To Implement Key Provision In Health Care Law from TPMMuckraker