This article, Massive caravan on ‘illegal immigration superhighway’ to press strained border resources (washingtontimes.com, 31 Mar), ought to make any American cringe. Consider this excerpt.
U.S. officials said Mr. Trump’s frustration has flared after the Mexican government of Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador took office in December.
Mr. Lopez Obrador, eager to create a break with his predecessor, began a humanitarian policy that welcomed Central Americans and provided them with humanitarian assistance and visas, which gave them tacit permission to traverse the country.
That, American officials say, created the spike that is playing out on the U.S. border, where the number of unauthorized migrants arrested rose from about 60,000 a month late last year to 76,000 in February and, officials project, more than 100,000 in March. (from here)
What happened? Mr. Lopez Obrador decided to take control of the immigration policy of his northern neighbor. Whose job is it to control America’s immigration policy? Congress. Here is the power the Constitution gives Congress.
To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization,…… (from Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution)
Unfortunately, Congress has refused to control who immigrates to the United States. Why? Different people have different motives. Here are some of the more common ones.
- Less expensive unskilled labor.
- Pity for the poor.
- Votes that can be cheaply bought.
- “Guilt” over the conquest of America that results in strangely racist desire to see a brown America even among white Americans.
What are the effects of Congress’ neglect? Poor uneducated people bring problems, not benefits to the United States.
- Crime. In addition facilitating the entry of gang members into the United States, the illegal immigrating into the United States exposes the immigrant to rape, theft, murder, human trafficking,…… Illegal immigrants routinely engage in identity theft, and they have an incentive to accept money under the table (to avoid taxes) for their labor.
- Increased taxes to pay for strained health, education, and welfare programs.
- Language issues. Illegal immigrants often do not know how to speak and write in English.
- Disease and health problems. No one checks illegal immigrants for health problems.
- Crossing the border illegally in the wilderness is dangerous. Most of the American Southwest is desert. The unprepared can die of thirst.
If we want Congress to fix this problem, now is a good time to call your Senator (senate.gov) or Congressman (house.gov). Otherwise, Trump may have to close the border. Not a good solution. Trump has called on Congress to act, Trump calls on Congress to ‘fix’ asylum, other immigration ‘loopholes’: ‘Get it done now!’ (thehill.com, 1 Apr).
To put a greater focus on illegal immigration, Trump may make a special appointment, REPORT: Trump Considers Creating ‘Immigration Czar’ Post to Address Border Crisis (nationalreview.com, 1 Apr). Former Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli is under consideration for the post.