What is the point of this post? Traditionally, voters start paying attention in September. However, if you have a preferred candidate, you may wish to send them donations or volunteer to help them now. If you don’t have a preferred candidate, it is time to do some research. Avoid the risk of too little too late. We all need to do our best to get our guy elected.
Who are the candidates for Virginia’s 1st Congressional District?
Congressman Rob Wittman (Wittman’s campaign website) represents Virginia’s 1st Congressional District (.govtrack.us), and he is running to keep the seat. He is the Republican Party’s nominee.
Qasim Rashid won the Democratic Primary Election on June 23rd (2020 June Democratic Primary (elections.virginia.gov)).
- Facebook site (link was not available when last checked)
- Twitter site
Shawn Ponterio is running as an Independent. His web/Facebook pages indicate he is still collecting signatures to get on the ballot (see United States House of Representatives (.pdf)).
What is the latest information about this election?
- Virginia’s 1st Congressional District election, 2020 (ballotpedia.org): General information.
- Virginia District 01 2020 Race (opensecrets.org): Fundraising data.
- US House of Representatives District 1 (vpap.org): Fundraising and general information.
- 2020 United States House of Representatives elections in Virginia (en.wikipedia.org)
- Prince William Elections (pwcvotes.org): The information we need to vote.
How about the latest news? Not much since the primary.
- Qasim Rashid Wins Democratic Nomination in VA 1st Congressional District (bristowbeat.com)
- Gade opposes Warner; Rashid challenges Wittman in the fall (richmond.com)
- Qasim Rashid wins Democratic nomination in 1st Congressional District, will take on U.S. Rep. Rob Wittman (dailypress.com)
- UPDATED: Qasim Rashid wins in the 1st District primary race (princewilliamtimes.com)