The Board adopted Plan C of the Annual School Calendar that begins August 23, 2021. Plan C incorporates what were Plans A and B on which parents voted earlier in the fall. Plan C adds five days to the end of the 2021-2022 school year so that school ends on June 15, 2022. The five extra days were added to include five new religious holidays.
The holiday schedule:
- Jewish Rosh Hashanah, September 7 and Yom Kippur, September 15;
- Hindu Diwali, November 4;
- Veterans’ Day, November 11;
- Thanksgiving; November 24-26;
- Winter break that includes Christmas, December 17 to January 4, 2022.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., January 17;
- Presidents’ Day, February 21;
- Spring break that includes Good Friday, April 11-15;
- Muslim, Eid al-Fitr, May 2;
- Memorial Day, May 30.
County high school principals presented their plans in detail for integrating students into the classroom again starting mid-February. Unlike the high school sports teams, which are fiercely competitive, the principals have a strong collaborative relationship. When one finds a solution to an issue, it is shared with the rest, certainly forming a unified and efficient machine for getting our students back into high school while keeping them safe and well.
Parents and grandparents can plan accordingly. So can our students for whom we want the best in planning and educational benefits.
- Approved 2021-22 School Calendar (pwcs.edu)
- November 4 School Board Meeting Talking Points (pwcs.edu)
- 2020-21 School Year Information and FAQ (updated frequently) (pwcs.edu)
- Early Christmas present: Prince William students to get 2-week holiday in 2021 (potomaclocal.com)
- Prince William School Board approves 2021-22 calendar with diverse holidays (insidenova.com)
— Posted by Tom Salmon for Doris, a fellow member of the Prince William and Manassas Family Alliance