The 2nd District of the Virginia House of Delegates includes precincts at the eastern end of Prince William County. If you think you may be elgible to vote in this special election, scheduled for January 5, 2021, then check out Elections & Registration | pwcvotes.
What’s going on?
The seat is being vacated by Del. Jennifer Carroll Foy, who announced Tuesday she is resigning to focus on her run for the Democratic nomination for governor.UPDATED: Heather Mitchell is the GOP nominee for 2nd District House seat | Headlines | insidenova.com
Who is running to replace Delegate Foy?
- Heather F. Mitchell (R) (Mitchell for Delegate – Special Election for Delegate January 5th (mitchellforva.com))
- Candi P. M. King (D) (Candi King for VA (squarespace.com))
Here are some of the news stories about the candidates.
- UPDATED: Heather Mitchell is the GOP nominee for 2nd District House seat | Headlines | insidenova.com and Candi King wins Democratic nomination in 2nd District House of Delegates race | Headlines | insidenova.com
- Virginia special elections for two House seats show low turnout for early voting, officials say – The Washington Post
- Heather Mitchell Is Running for the Virginia House of Delegates’ Second District Seat in Special Election – Tennessee Star and Candi King Wins Democratic Nomination for Virginia’s 2nd House District, Will Face Republican Mitchell in Special Election – Tennessee Star
- Heather Mitchell for Virginia House of Delegates: Prince William, Stafford “a miniature version of the entire state” (potomaclocal.com)
- All hands on deck time (dailykos.com)
Given the recent election with all the mail-in ballots, there will be one aspect to this special election that may surprise a few people. Because of the short timeline, there will be relatively few mail-in ballots. Hence, the victor will be decided by the turnout on election day.
If you care about how well our government is working and you can vote in this election, then please take the time to vote.